Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit
For U-LEAD with Europe | Ukraine – Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme, implemented by GIZ, we are looking for a Legal Adviser (full time 100%) to work in Kyiv.
In the last few years, Ukraine has developed and adopted various laws in favour of an ambitious decentralisation reform, which reshapes the relations between the national, regional and local level and builds institutional capacity. In the beginning of 2019, the Cabinet of Ministers has adopted a roadmap outlining necessary steps to finalize this reform process and the Ministry of Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Communal Services (MinRegion) has published a detailed operational plan, with the necessary steps and a time table to achieve this goal. The success of the decentralisation reform greatly depends on the coordination and cooperation between the different stakeholders involved, including central government and regional offices. The MinRegion is responsible for the overall implementation of this milestone reform process. It coordinates the implementation of the reform process with 24 Local Government Development Centres in all Ukrainian Oblasts. The U-LEAD with Europe Programme supports these institutions via its main programme office in Kyiv and four offices in Lviv, Poltava, Chernivtsi and Dnipro.
The Legal Adviser will join the CROS (Central Support to Multi-Level-Governance) Unit of the Programme, advising on the legal parameters of the decentralization and regional policy reform process in Ukraine. She/he will also provide advice to the Programme Directorate and will closely liaise with the legal experts supporting MinRegion in implementation of the decentralisation reform.
Areas of responsibility:
- Monitoring and analysis of legislation on decentralisation issues and legislative proposals impacting local self-government
- Assessment of draft laws and regulations submitted to the Parliament, drafts of laws and Presidential decrees, decrees and executive orders of the Government and central bodies of executive power which are submitted to the Government impacting local self-government
- Responding to requests regarding the practical application of legislation on decentralisation, the formation and functioning of amalgamated hromadas via analysis, advice or recommendations
- Assessment of legal frameworks for decentralisation reform and preparing concepts on its improvements
- Independent research on the trends and best practices in local self-government and its legal framework
- Analysis of court-cases regarding decentralisation
- Liaison with legal experts, the international advisors and other experts assigned by U-LEAD
- Design, conduct and moderate trainings on legal issues of local self-government in decentralisation process considering local self-government bodies demands
- Advising on contractual issues in compliance with law of Ukraine and GIZ rules and standards
- Participation in Working Groups on draft laws on local self-government elaboration
- Maintaining of good flow of communication and information between all involved counterparts
- Quality control of external experts’ submission in the legal sphere.
- Contributing to U-LEAD M&E and data management
- Drafting of reports, briefings, presentations, summaries of reports and legal provisions in English and Ukrainian
- Comply with GIZ rules and standards
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master degree in law or equivalent and at least 3 years work experience in the public sector or in related areas (e.g. public management, political science, social sciences, organisational development etc.)
- Work experience with, or knowledge of, public administration in Ukraine at national, oblast and local level and/or knowledge of civil society organisations and/or international organisations
- Knowledge of the government’s reform agenda, in particular in the field of decentralisation. Experience in international cooperation is an advantage
- Deep knowledge of local self-government standards, regulations, needs and problems
- Good moderation and coordination skills is an advantage Good knowledge of contract, labour, property, court laws is an advantage
- Work experience in the field of decentralisation is an advantage
- Experience in the preparation of draft laws is an advantage
- Work experience in the field of local self-government organs is an advantage
- Experience in written and oral English – Ukrainian and vice versa is required
- Ukrainian native speaker; excellent command of the English language; knowledge of German is an asset
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- High degree of loyalty, self-organization, problem-solving, stress-resistance and motivation
- Reliability, confidentiality, flexibility
- Very good computer skills (e.g. MS Office Suite incl. Excel, PowerPoint etc.);
- Team player with excellent intercultural competences
- Proactive, innovative and hands-on attitude
- Readiness for occasional business trips to different project locations within Ukraine
Starting as soon as possible. The contract duration is until the end of December 2019.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
Please send your application in English, comprising a cover letter explaining your motivation and your CV to HR-UA@giz.de until 6 June 2019.