Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit
For U-LEAD with Europe | Ukraine - Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme, implemented by GIZ, we are looking for a Local Government Budget Adviser (full time 100%) to work in Kyiv.
U-LEAD with Europe: Ukraine - Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme' is a multi-donor action of the European Union and its member states Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Poland and Sweden which supports the efforts of the Ukraine government in the area of decentralisation and regional development. Ukraine has put decentralisation and regional development as a top priority on its political agenda. It is aimed at promoting a viable local self-government and thus bringing a positive change to the people's life. The Ministry of Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Communal Services (MinRegion) holds responsible for this milestone reform process. The Programme contributes to the establishment of multi-level governance which is transparent, accountable and responsible to the needs of the population.
The Local Government Budget Adviser will join the CROS (Central Reform Office Support) Unit of the Programme, advising on local budget cycle with a special emphasis on budget planning and execution. She/he will also provide advice to the Programme Directorate and will closely liaise with the Central Reform Office Coordinators and the Fiscal Monitoring Group supporting MinRegion in implementation of the decentralisation reform.
Local Government Budget Adviser
Areas of responsibility
- Expert opinion and advise on local level budget cycle with the main focus on budget planning and execution
- Analysis of the procedures and practices of budgeting and development at local level from the point of view of methodology for optimisation of the intergovernmental public financial management framework
- Collecting, studying and analysing information about the relevant legislation and effective management of the budgeting process, including practice of forecasting of expenditures and revenues, practice of establishing strategic resp. target directions of budget allocations, practice of planning, budgeting of expenses, participatory budgeting and gender budgeting
- Feedback and input to the current and future system of analysis of information, received from the Ministry of Finance, local state administrations, local authorities regarding the local budget cycle with special emphasis on the budget planning and execution
- Cooperation with the CRO Fiscal Coordinator, LGDC and U-LEAD experts upon request;
- Quality control of external experts' submission in the financial and budget sphere on local level
- Design of capacity development measures ("Thematic Support Package") in cooperation with other international organisations, coordination of their implementation, quality control and alignment with applicable Ukrainian legislation
- Contribution to workshops and trainings on the application of relevant budget planning regulations upon request
- Contributing to U-LEAD M&E and data management
- Drafting of reports, briefings, presentations, summaries of reports and legal provisions in English and Ukrainian;
- Comply with GIZ rules and standards
- Master degree and at least 3 years work experience in a related area (e.g. financial management / budgeting / taxation, preferably in public administration)
- work experience with, or knowledge of, public administration in Ukraine at national, oblast and local level and/or knowledge of civil society organisations and/or international organisations
- work experience in skill enhancement/ capacity development of public administration in Ukraine
- knowledge of the government's reform agenda, in particular in the field of decentralisation and PFM
- experience in international cooperation is an advantage
- experience in written and oral translation English - Ukrainian and vice versa highly desirable
- strong organisational, planning and self-management competences, ability to deal with multiple tasks simultaneously, solve problems, meet deadlines and maintain a high quality of work
- native speaker Ukrainian; excellent command of the English language; knowledge of German is an asset
- excellent communication and presentation skills
- high degree of loyalty, self-organization, stress-resistance and motivation
- very good computer skills (e.g. MS Office Suite incl. Excel, PowerPoint etc.);
- team player with excellent intercultural competences
- proactive, innovative and hands-on attitude
- readiness for occasional business trips to different project locations within Ukraine
Starting as soon as possible. The contract duration is until the end of December 2019.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
We are looking forward to your application in English, comprising a cover letter explaining your motivation and your CV to HR-UA@giz.de until 02 September 2018.