For U-LEAD with Europe | Ukraine - Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme, implemented by GIZ, we are looking for a Legal Adviser (full time 100%) to work in Kyiv.
U-LEAD with Europe: Ukraine - Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme is a multi-donor action of the European Union and its member states Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Poland and Sweden which supports the efforts of the Ukraine government in the area of decentralisation and regional development. Ukraine has put decentralisation and regional development as a top priority on its political agenda. It is aimed at promoting a viable local self-government and thus bringing a positive change to the people's life. The Ministry of Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Communal Services (MinRegion) holds responsible for this milestone reform process. The Programme contributes to the establishment of multi-level governance which is transparent, accountable and responsible to the needs of the population.
The Legal Adviser will join the CROS (Central Reform Office Support) Unit of the Programme, advising on the legal parameters of the decentralization and regional policy reform process in Ukraine. She/he will also provide advise to the Programme Directorate and will closely liaise with the Central Reform Office Coordinators and the Legal Analytical Group supporting MinRegion in implementation of the decentralisation reform.
Areas of responsibility
- Monitoring and analysis of legislation on decentralisation issues and legislative proposals impacting local self-government
- Assessment of draft laws and regulations submitted to the Parliament, drafts of laws and Presidential decrees, decrees and executive orders of the Government and central bodies of executive power which are submitted to the Government impacting local self-government
- Responding to requests regarding the practical application of legislation on decentralisation, the formation and functioning of amalgamated hromadas via analysis, advice or recommendations
- Independent research on the trends and best practices in local self-government and its legal framework
- Liaison with CRO Coordinators, Legal Analytical Group and other experts assigned by U-LEAD
- Quality control of external experts' submission in the legal sphere.
- Contributing to U-LEAD M&E and data management
- Drafting of reports, briefings, presentations, summaries of reports and legal provisions in English and Ukrainian
- Comply with GIZ rules and standards
- Master degree in law or equivalent and at least 3 years work experience (e.g. public management, political science, social sciences, organisational development etc.)
- Work experience with, or knowledge of, public administration in Ukraine at national, oblast and local level and/or knowledge of civil society organisations and/or international organisations
- Knowledge of the government's reform agenda, in particular in the field of decentralisation Experience in international cooperation is an advantage
- Experience in written and oral English - Ukrainian and vice versa is required
- Ukrainian native speaker; excellent command of the English language; knowledge of German is an asset
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- High degree of loyalty, self-organization, problem-solving, stress-resistance and motivation
- Very good computer skills (e.g. MS Office Suite incl. Excel, PowerPoint etc.);
- Team player with excellent intercultural competences
- Proactive, innovative and hands-on attitude
- Readiness for occasional business trips to different project locations within Ukraine
Starting as soon as possible. The contract duration is until the end of December 2019.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
We are looking forward to your application in English, comprising a cover letter explaining your motivation and your CV until 13 July 2018 to HR-UA@giz.de.